Thursday, October 30, 2014

Mummy Moments

So this year's Halloween party theme was a little hard to "wrap" my head around. The husband decided we should be mummies for our Halloween costumes. "Sure, honey!" and then the wheels began to turn. What can I use for decorations. I checked around online. I found lots of cute ideas. But many would have been too scary for the neighbor children. Halloween should be fun not produce tears. So I grappled with ideas until I saw a picture online of a white mummy on a black background with a silver pumpkin in the foreground. Bingo! Black, silver, and white and mummy would be the inspiration for the party decor. So the searching, shopping, planning and developing began. I did however find some mummy kitchen aprons. I tied them to the front porch railing. I think they worked. I wrapped $1 pumpkin trick-or-treat containers with white duck tape, and crepe paper.

At our local Target, I found a $1 mummy pose-able cutout decoration. At that price I had to grab a few. So one was hung in our hallway from the stair railing. And one was hung on the coat hook by the door. At the local dollar store, $1 Zone, I found white and silver chevron cups. I purchased a package of silver, a package of black, and a package of white dinner plates. Stacked them in an alternating pattern. I love doing this. It looks pretty and you know if you'd picked up two plates by mistake more easily then if you stack all the same color. Also at Target they had black polka-dot, white polka-dot, and orange polka-dot burlap pennant banners. However, orange did not fit my decor scheme. But they were $2 each (one string of alternating colored pennants.) So I brought home a silver sharpie from work and colored over all the orange ones with silver. From a distance they look just fabulous.  At our local Marshall's, they had some beautiful silver and black polka-dotted burlap runners.  I covered our square tables with black dollar store tablecloths. The runners then sat on top to accent them. Round tables with dollar store black tablecloths had old silver curtains folded as if they were runners down the middle.

I went through our storage tubs. Found our black pumpkins from previous parties. Located every basket I could find. Draped them in cheesecloth meshing and created a yummy candy buffet. What is a Halloween party without trick-or-treating?! At the dollar store I also found treat boxes decorated like probably white versions of Frankenstein. They blended in perfectly. Possibly my favorite piece were mummy candles I found at Marshall's. A great embellishment for the candy buffet table. At a Family Dollar while on a little road trip I found gift boxes that were decorated like mummy faces. I took off the lids and filled them with tissues. Perfect for anyone that needs a facial tissue.

I admit as people texted, emailed, or called to say that they couldn't make the party this year I lost my oomph. I would have liked to have made a mummified hotdogs and a mummy cheesespread... The fettuccine alfredo I did make became gummy while I worked on wrapping us both up in Mummy garb. So I opted for chips, dip, and pizza instead.

Here are few photos:








No comments:

Post a Comment