Sunday, May 25, 2014

Geek Pride Day 2014 - Party for Two

See today, May 25th, is deemed “Geek Pride Day”. Now there is a holiday we can get behind.
What is Geek Pride Day you ask? It seems:
So many reasons for nerds and geeks to celebrate this Friday! It was originally chosen to celebrate the anniversary of the first Star Wars film’s release, but it’s also a day for Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy enthusiasts to commemorate the passing of author Douglas Adams by carrying around towels, and it’s the day of the Glorious Revolution in Terry Pratchett’sDiscworld series, for which fans wear lilac and raise money to give to Alzheimer’s charities (Pratchett was diagnosed with the disease in 2008). The day was officially conceived of by nerds in Spain, who celebrated in Madrid by creating a giant human Pac-Man game. Since then it’s become a worldwide phenomenon for all things nerdy.” - http://flavorwire.com/292968/9-weird-subcultural-holidays-you-didnt-know-existed

The husband loves Star Trek. He enjoys Dr. Who. Both of these have now been imposed upon me so long living together in happily married geekdom. Does it surprise anyone that I score a lot better on Trivia Quizzes after marriage then I would have before? I have a fondness for Big Bang Theory, HGTV, PacMan, shoes, teapots, and anything 80's. Together we encompass many GeekGenres. So this sounds like a perfect day for a party for two. You know, those evenings at home curled up on the couch eating pizza and watching a movie. The epitome of Geek married bliss. So here is a little from our Geek Pride Day celebration.

TV viewing – We read an article online that there is a movie, “Unicorn City” that sounds too funny for words. It was suppose to be available on Netfilx. Insert sad Geek Disillusionment here. Oh well we do own the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. And recently we had discussed that perhaps we should re-watch the Star Wars movies. For the most part, when someone mentions Star Wars – to us - “Wrong franchise!” But I do have fond memories of watching these movies on TV at my neighbor's house when we were children. He adored these movies. And he had all the cool toys. I admit I use to want to borrow the Ewok Village the most. Followed by the Playdough Star Wars set. So we have started ordering the Star Wars DVDs for rental from Netflix, (http://netflix.com). Luckily the second original movie has arrived in time.

Fete Avec Moi
Food - So here I sit, in my Star Trek pajamas. Eating pizza that we cut with a Starship Enterprise pizza cutter (given to us by my brother-in-law). Drinking my Pepsi from a Uhura glass. For dessert I will be having chocolate sandwich cookies (like Oreo's but the $1 Stop and Shop kind) that are kept in a Tardis shaped cookie jar. And I will have Pacman candies, R2D2 candies, and drink a Pacman energy drink. That should be enough sugar to keep the fatchick inside me quiet long enough to enjoy the Star Wars movie.


Fete Avec Moi
Decorations - I gathered a bunch of the Geeky items we have from around the house: my Rubix cube tissue holder, my shoe wine opener (mental note to use THAT later this evening), our Star Trek glasses, our Star Trek pizza cutter, and the Dr. Who Tardis cookie jar. I purchased Pacman candies (in miniarcade game looking tins) from our local Five Below (http://www.fivebelow.com/). They also had Pacman Energy drinks. I've had these before. I was rather happy to find them. And they had R2D2 shaped candy holders. I pulled all of these items onto a side table with a framed picture I created. The picture frame now reads, “Wow, you say geek like it's a bad thing” inside a pair of glasses. You'd think I found enough cr-p, I mean stuff. But apparently my husband felt that I had forgotten the Star Trek tissue box from the bathroom. Yes, we have a Star Trek themed bathroom. ;) I guess I have taught him well with decorating. It did bring some balance to the table.

Did you show your Geek Pride Today? The twitter hashtag is #GeekPrideDay.

A collection of photos:












No comments:

Post a Comment